Friday, June 26, 2009

Sanibel's Chico's Holds An Appealing Secret

I love the Chico's on Sanibel and I guess I am not alone as the tiny island has been able to support not just one but two shops, though I must confess to only shopping in the original Chico's on Palm Ridge. There, the store manager entices me with tales of the founding of Chico's and resolved my confusion with the name. Since chico in Spanish means boy, I was initially surprised that the store is solely women's apparel.

But the manager showed me who the real Chico was, and that not only dismissed my confusion, but added to the charm of shopping in the original store.Chico, the store's namesake, was a gorgeous parrot, and no doubt, like the rest of us, he must have been enamored with life on the Island. In the large picture of him found in the back of the store, he appears to be smiling and quite pleased with his domain.

And who could blame him? What 2 legged, 4 legged or finned or winged creature would not fine a life of bliss on this island paradise?But despite the great merchandising of Chico's, I am concerned that an island the size of Sanibel could continue to sustain two shops with the same name and both selling only women's clothing.

And so I tell our rental guests when they are looking for a place to shop that they should go to Chico's. Not only is the merchandise different (and better!) than in other stores around the country, but there they will have the fun and good fortune of discovering Chico's secret.

No comments: