Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Resolute Sanibel: Personal Determinations for the New Year

Oh, it's coming on that time of year again, only a week from the dawning of a New Year. Looking back on the past one, I know that there are some things I hope will go differently and so I believe that I need to start putting my thoughts out there. Thinking is the first step in making wishes come true!


My first resolution is to emphasize the positive. 2009 was a challenging year on the Island for anyone involved in vacations, and that means just about everyone on Sanibel. But we made it and it's a good thing to remember that nothing so terrible transpired and a whole lot of good things did happen. I will make a list of all the nice things that took place on the Island in this last year and keep that list handy.


Second on my list of New Year's resolutions is to keep in mind that no man is an island. While spending so much time on an Island can make a person feel insular and keep one from being in touch, I am determined to have more contact with family and friends in 2010. Whether it be personal visits, more phone calls or more frequent notes, I need to remember that there is a whole world out there beyond the causeway.


Third, I promise myself that I will cook more, focusing on healthy meals and less of them. With so many great places to eat on Sanibel, it is just so easy to leave the kitchen in museum quality condition and find my food outside the house. But shopping for my own food at Island grocery stores could not be easier and eating food that I made with my own hands has its own degree of satisfaction.


Fourth, I need to remind myself that although the sun shines almost every day of the year on this lovely little island, it should not be taken for granted. Taking walks more often or jumping on my bike will help me enjoy the beauties of the days much more than just driving my car from point to point.


Fifth, it's time to stop putting off updating my wardrobe. There are several great shops on Sanibel for women's attire, and it's such an easy thing to stop there and try on some great looking stuff. It's a really hard choice to part with things we love and that have served us well, but I think the merchandise in the stores is calling my name and I should heed the welcome.


Sixth, and I think I'd better stop here as six resolutions are pretty formidable, my walls need updating as much as my wardrobe does. I think I have outgrown the art work I've had for longer than I would like to admit. I want to support the Island art galleries and there are so many lovely pieces of work that would really brighten my place and my day. So why not?


OK, I feel better already and prepared to take on a new year, Sanibel style!

No comments: